There are roughly 200 species of owls, and the mass majority of those possess large heads, round faces, short tails, and muted feathers with mottled patterns. These are “true owls”. The little over a dozen species of owls are barn owls, distinguishable by their heart-shaped faces, long legs equipped with powerful talons, and moderate size. With so many looks and colors, owls are favored by many with their mystic demeanors and adorable faces. Today we at Carve Me A Bear! Chainsaw Carvings would like to share some fun facts regarding owls.
Fun Facts About Owls
1) Owls are nocturnal. Most owl species are nocturnal and have adapted remarkably well to hunting at night through evolution. As the owl hunt for small mammals and other birds, their dark coloration conceals them in the darkness and their quiet flight makes them elite hunters. The wings are designed to beat in near silence flaps, giving them the advantage over their prey. With their enormous eyes, enhancing their vision, owls are among the top night hunters in the wild. Owls live in a wide variety of habitats such as deserts, mountains, coniferous forests and plains.
2) Owls eyes do not move. The owl’s eyes are fixed into their sockets, meaning they cannot move their eyes around, instead their heads are capable of turning ¾ of circle 270 degrees, which the average human can only turn their heads about 90 degrees for comparison.
3) Female owls are larger than males. Most species of owls, the females are slightly larger than the males. A theory for why, is that males are smaller and more agile, giving them more hunting skills, and the females are slightly larger to brood young. Since the females do not like to leave their eggs, the larger body mass allows them to sustain themselves for longer bouts of time.
4) Owls have powerful talons. Owls have the strongest talons in the avian kingdom. They are able to kill their prey and carry it off. Seizing and grasping rabbits, squirrels, and other squirmy mammals are no match for the owl’s incredible talons. In fact, the five-pound great horned owl, one of the largest owl species, can curl their talons with the force of about 300 pounds per square inch, which is comparable to the strongest human bite.
5) Owl spirit animal meaning. A deep connection with wisdom and intuitive knowledge, the owl spirit animal indicates the ability to see what’s usually hidden to most. With this spirit animal guiding you, you can see beyond illusion and deceit and see true reality.
6) General symbolism of owls. The symbolic meaning of the owl includes:
– The ability to see what other cannot; intuition.
– Their presence announces change.
– Having the capability of seeing beyond masks and deceit.
– Traditionally, the owl spirit animal announces death and life altering change.
Chainsaw Carvings & More in Las Vegas, Nevada & Helena, Montana
The owls are truly remarkable creatures that many people find fascinating, beautiful, and endearing. If you or someone you love is a collector, check out our inventory of owl crafted from chainsaw carvings or contact us for your custom-made owl figure.